Friday, October 14, 2016

Not Your Average French Dip!


Happy Friday loves!!! Usually on Fridays, I fix something a bit simple for dinner or I'll let my mini choose what she wants. Friday's are Movie Night so with healthy snacks, tea or hot cocoa set for later, dinner is a breeze!

One of my favorite past times with my family were French Dips for dinner. Now, this American Classic was made at a spot in the city I grew up in called Oakland. My Father would take us to pick up these sandwiches and I remember the Chef treating my Father with so much respect and knowing exactly what he wanted (being a regular). 5 French Dips with Au Jus (the works)!

Ahhhh this was such a great memory of hanging out with my Dad to go pick up dinner! I miss him so. Today, being I don't eat beef, I had to re-create this family fave my way. Vegetarian style! OMG! When I tell you this was good AF! Made me wanna slap myself! It was a success with my family, of course! Heehee! Hope you enjoy as much as we did!


All You Need: Feeds 4

4 large portabella mushrooms; clean & remove stems
1 large green bell pepper
1 large red bell pepper
1 red onion
4 sweet french rolls
Melt (non-dairy butter)
shredded monterey jack cheese (dairy free)
2 tbls olive oil

Directions

Heat oven on broil to lightly brown rolls. Open enough not to break apart and butter both sides. Once browned, sit to the side on separate plates. Wash and slice veggies, set aside. Heat evoo in large skillet on med/high. Saute veggies for about 8 minutes and remove from heat. Cover those veggies with as much cheese you desire then fill those rolls to capacity! We chose to devour these with chips.

*Good Health Kettle Style Chips are sooooo good! Made with 100% avocado oil

Mushroom Gravy Dipping Sauce

1-8 oz Better Than Bouillon (no beef baste)
1-8 oz package washed;sliced bella mushrooms
1/4 cup Melt
2 tbs corn starch
2 tbs cold water
salt & pepper to taste

Directions

In saute pan, heat and melt butter on med heat. Add mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Simmer until all the liquid evaporates. Stir in bouillon base. Reduce heat to medium. Whisk together corn starch and water. Gradually stir into skillet until sauce thickens (about 3-5 minutes).

*Pour into dishes for dipping your French Dip






1 comment:

  1. As soon as I can have bread again! Lawd this looks so good I'm legit salivating! I laughed so hard when you said it was so good that you wanted to slap yourself! Makes want do a stir fry with this mushroom gravy! Ooooohhh! Yep, that's how I'll do it! Love your food posts! As you can probably tell, I'm a foodie!

    ReplyDelete